Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Black Bean Quesadillas

What makes these quaesadillas so good is the spice--cumin. The spice is native to East India and the east Mediterranean. It has a very distinctive warm, earthy flavor and is popular in North African, Middle Eastern, Western Chinese, Indian, Cuban and Mexican cuisine.

The whole seed will last longer than the ground variety, but most recipes call for ground cumin and as I never have time to grind it myself I keep the ground variety on hand. Also, if you are making scrambled eggs or omelets sprinkle on a little cumin for a wonderfully warm flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups Cooked Black Beans or 2 Cans of Black Beans
  • Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
  • Cumin
  • Flour Tortillas

Spread black beans lightly over half of tortilla. Add half that amount of tomatoes to the black beans. Cover with cheese. Lightly sprinkle with cumin. Fold over tortilla. Fry in a pan of hot oil.

Note: I usually turn my oven to warm and place finished tortillas in the oven till I've finished frying all the tortillas I will need.

No comments: